Thursday, March 11, 2010

Walking in Faith

My friend, Sue Prince, wrote an interesting blog post today. I've been thinking since I read it about what it means to "walk in faith". The Bible does speak many times about walking in faith, but it also speaks of the walk of faith. It seems to me that it is an argument of semantics. Is our walk a verb or a noun? I think there is Biblical evidence that it is both. In 3 John 1:3, it is a verb: "It gave me great joy to have some brothers come and tell about your faithfulness to the truth and how you continue to walk in the truth." And in Psalm 101:6, it is a noun: "My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me."

So what does it mean when people talk about a "leap of faith", and is this an indication of fear that the Lord will not follow through or an excuse not to walk with Him? Personally, I don't think so. When I see the term "leap of faith", I think of something extremely exciting, something that gets your blood pumping more than just the normal, everyday walking with the Lord. It's when He is giving you an opportunity to do something where you know you will be completely out of control and totally dependent on Him. While we are supposed to live in a state of total dependence, there are times when we feel it on a higher level than others. There isn't a question of whether or not the Lord is faithful or will catch or carry us. There is just a higher level of excitement about what He is about to do. And yes, with that excitement there may be more fear of the unknown, but it is an excited fear rather than a fear that holds us back from action.

In looking at our walk as a noun, it is a thing we are a part of rather than an action we do. The walk of faith is both, ironically. But when we look at it as our walk (noun), it is a thing born of relationship, our state of being with God all the time. Sometimes it is slower, sometimes faster, sometimes more fun or exciting, and sometimes sorrowful, but I believe that during that walk, the Lord takes joy in everything we do, whether it is jumping, skipping, twirling, dancing or simply stepping.

No comments: