Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Priority Versus Option

One of my Facebook friends posted this quote as her status the other day: "Never make someone your priority while allowing yourself to be their option". My first reaction was to totally agree with that statement. I mean, who likes the feeling of pining or sacrificing for someone constantly while that person is just taking advantage of their heart and feelings. But, like pretty much everything else that catches my attention, I pondered that thought for a while. I think there is another side to it that we as Christians are actually called TO.

I am very glad that God did not apply that thought to me, to anyone, when choosing to provide a way of salvation for all. I am also glad that He doesn't apply that concept to me on a daily basis. Every day I make choices that place a higher priority on something or someone else than the Lord. I try not to most of the time, and sometimes I do it without even thinking. Many times it is something that is good in and of itself, but should never be given more attention than Him. But no matter where my heart or priorities are, even when He is an option to me on many days, I am always His priority. He always loves me. He is always working to change my heart, mind and spirit to bring them more in line with His. He is always providing opportunities for me to watch Him work in the world and lives around me, even when I can't see it.

He did the same thing for every single person you will ever meet, anywhere, at any time. If you know Him, it is your call, your mandate, to love them as He does-to make serving them and introducing them to Jesus your priority, even if you (or Him) are just an option to them. We are called to love when it's painful, when it is not returned, when it doesn't make sense. That is what He always has and always will do.

Jesus died for me while I was yet a sinner. He did the same for you, whoever you are. Even when He was not yet a thought, let alone an option, for us, He died for us. He loves, cares for and pursues us-first to win our hearts and then to give us real life. We are created by Him, saved by Him, and changed by Him. And we are always His priority. Will you make Him more than an option today?

1 comment:

Susan L. Prince said...

This is really good. Really. Good.

And, I'm getting all this from stalking your old posts. :)