Saturday, October 24, 2009

Women of Faith

So I was trying to think of something to blog about since I have, once again, been very lax. I had a request for a Women of Faith update (why didn't I think of that?), so here goes. Last weekend I was blessed to be able to fly home to attend the conference with my best friend from college and one of her good friends, who now lives in Kansas City. This was not one of those real emotional, conference high kinds of weekends. But that in and of itself was pretty cool for me. I will explain as I share some of the highlights.

Sandi Patty said "venting can make you feel better, but venting is not the same as healing." How often do we think that just spouting off everything that enters our mind is actually helpful. It's not. All that does is clear off the top so that we can fill it up with more stuff until the next time we blow. We have to deal with the root of our hurt before we can ever hope to stop spewing our stuff all over everybody. Those are my thoughts on her statement, but you get the point.

Marilyn Meberg said a lot, but the one thing that touched my heart most from the whole weekend was when she said, "Nobody can tell you how long it's appropriate to grieve anything." I could have left at that point having heard all I needed to hear. I have been criticized by well meaning friends and told to stop thinking about and hurting over a particular loss in my life-as if not talking about it would simply make it go away. Only God knows how deep our grief over anything goes, and He is patient enough to walk with us through the entire grieving process.

And here's a funny from Patsy Clairmont (I can only hope I'm as cute as her when I grow up!)- "I knew I was directionally gifted, but I never knew I was bossy!" :o)

Weirdly, my favorite speaker this time was Rick Stearns, CEO of World Vision. I expected his talk to be all about trying to get us to sponsor a child. Instead, he challenged us to really look at the things we pretend not to be aware of and see how God may want to use us. His two main points were 1) God expects one thing from us: everything! and 2) When you are asked the question, "Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life?" What that really means is: Are you willing to give up your job, career, salary? Are you willing to leave your home, family & friends? Are you willing to enter the pain & suffering for Jesus' sake? Those are not easy questions, but ones we must ask and answer if we are to fulfill all that the Lord has for us.

Sheila Walsh said, "Forgiveness is God's gift to us to live in a world that isn't fair." We can never understand why people do what they do, why bad things are allowed to happen, why good things are allowed to happen to those we see as bad, etc. But when we allow God to forgive through us, we are freed from needing the answers to those questions. We can live freely in His love, and the peace that passes understanding. It truly is a gift.

Lisa Whelchel also said something that was very pertinent to where I have been the last 12 years. She said that, when God spoke to her about the protective walls she had erected as a child star alone in Hollywood, He said, "I'm not mad at you for building those walls. But it's safe to come out now."

All of those things, as well as the other speakers and the music, were really cool for me to experience. The greatest thing for me, though, was not what happened at the conference, but what the Lord revealed in my spirit that He had already done in me. During Sheila Walsh's beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace, He said to me, "Relax. Enjoy. We have done a lot of work, and it is ok to rest in being on the other side." I know there is a lot more work to be done in my heart and life, but the fact that God has done so much and brought me so far, and that He wants me to enjoy that, was wonderful for my heart and spirit.

Another thing He did for me on this trip was to introduce me to a wonderful brother and sister in Him. He showed me in a very real way how His Spirit knits us together as His family, whether our paths cross for a moment or a lifetime. That connection is a perfect encouragement and bond that cannot be broken. I will always remember these two new friends who touched my life at just the right time.

1 comment:

Susan L. Prince said...

Thanks for sharing these tidbits of wisdom!

I really appreciate it since I didn't make it to a conference this year.

God is growing you. :) It's awesome!